A Note From The Santa Monica Teen & Family Therapist
As a parent, you act as both a mentor and a role model. Your responsibility is to teach your children the skills they will need to succeed in the world prior to leaving your home. – Sandra
I invite you to consider whether your teen is prepared to demonstrate the following life skills in the world:
- Expressing feelings appropriately
- Making a sincere apology
- Resisting peer-pressure while maintaining dignity with peers
- Maintaining proper and appropriate hygiene
- Using proper table manners
- Planning and preparing a meal
- Managing time effectively
- Being a smart consumer
- Using conflict resolution techniques to avoid arguments
- Maintaining proper boundaries with others
- Minimizing the chances of becoming a victim of crime
- Handling emergency situations
- Knowing how to act and what to say during a job interview
- Earning, saving and spending money responsibly
- Being able to recognize a person of poor character
If possible, try to set aside a portion of time each week to discuss and teach some of these life skills to your teen. The best way to approach these subjects is by creating heartfelt discussions. Try to make this a positive experience for your adolescent.
Implementing these concepts can take some time, which will vary substantially depending on the emotional maturity of your adolescent. Don’t feel like you have to tackle them all at once. You may want to consider setting aside 20 minutes a day where there are no interruptions.
In some situations, parents have not had the previous experience of entering into a similar discussion with their own parents. Therefore, I am more than happy to work together with you and your adolescent to facilitate these discussions.
If your teen or young adult child is struggling socially or emotionally, I can help you to discover the cause and remedy it.
Menu of Services Offered:
- Free Initial Consultation >
- Effective Parenting Classes >
- Adolescent Counseling 11-18 >
- Social Skills Assessment & Coaching >
- Young Adult Life Skills Coaching 19-24 >
Call Now to Schedule a Free Consultation!
Click to Call:
For more information, please visit my website:
Adolescent Therapist|Parent Coach|Teen Mentor
Providing service for: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.