Not every student learns at the same pace or in the same style. The following are suggestions on how to help your teen succeed in school. – Sandra
At the start of the school year, check in with your child by asking what they think of their teachers and how enthused they are feeling about each of the subjects they are studying. Once school is underway check in daily or weekly, depending upon the self-motivation of your particular child, by asking about their assignments and what their are learning.
If your teen starts expressing feelings of helplessness or hopelessness about a particular class or classes this could mean a couple of things:
- They need some assistance beyond the time spent in class to actually digest the new information, and thus a tutor may prove helpful.
- They may have a learning style or learning disability that needs to be better understood, like ADD, dyslexia, or a sensory processing disorder. There are tests as well as treatment designed to help overcome these challenges.
- They may be struggling emotionally with depression, bullying, low self-esteem or even substance abuse. These are all situations that would benefit from a consultation and/or treatment with a trained mental health professional.
The educational process offers students the opportunity to learn social skills, personal responsibility, respect for authority, how to manage their time, what areas interest them, as well as how to gather and absorb information. Instead of focusing only on an outcome, it is essential that parents support their child in having a positive and successful learning experience.
If your teen or young adult child is struggling socially or emotionally, I can help you to discover the cause and remedy it.
Menu of Services Offered:
- Free Initial Consultation >
- Effective Parenting Classes >
- Adolescent Counseling 11-18 >
- Social Skills Assessment & Coaching >
- Young Adult Life Skills Coaching 19-24 >
Call Now to Schedule a Free Consultation!
Click to Call:
For more information, please visit my website:
Providing service for: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.